How to Book Excursions
You must book in advance for all excursions, as numbers are limited for safety reasons. Bookings are taken by Alison Tymon. You can use the online form on this page, or contact Alison by email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 01289 305842. Please give your address and phone number, and a contact in case of an emergency (name, relationship and phone number). This information will only be used in connection with this year’s excursion bookings. Please notify Alison if you have booked an excursion and are not able to attend, to avoid disappointing others who may be on a waiting list. For last minute problems only, phone Alison on 07395 271428.
These are usually by private coach or minibus, departing from Waterloo Place at 9.00 am prompt. There is another Pick-up point on the outskirts of Edinburgh at about 9.15 am (standard locations are listed below, but check the details for each excursion on its information page) or you can arrange to meet at the start of the excursion. Return time to Edinburgh is variable, depending on distance and whether high tea is planned, etc – the details for each excursion give an estimated time. You should bring a packed lunch.
There is a standard charge, subsidised by the Society, for coach and minibus excursions: adults £12; juniors and under 18s £6. EGS members are given priority over guests and non-members, although the latter are welcome. Participants who attend day excursions in their own vehicles are asked to make a contribution of £5 towards costs.
Standard pickup locations for coach/minibus excursions departing from Waterloo Place. Coach company is usually Charlie Irons Coaches. (click for google map showing locations):
1. WATERLOO PLACE (east from the junction of Princes Street and North Bridge): Pick-up point is on Waterloo Place. Can be either side of the road: close to the Apex Hotel, 23 Waterloo Place or the entrance to the Old Calton Burial Ground.
Coaches going west on the A8:
2. GLASGOW ROAD (A8), west of the Drumbrae roundabout near PC World. The pick-up point is on the south side of the road at the bus stop near the Shell petrol station about 50 m from the roundabout [NT 192 729].
Coaches going north on the M90:
3. BLACKHALL Pick-up point at the bus stop on the south side of A90 Hillhouse Road, opposite shops 100m east of junction with Strachan Road/Telford Road [NT 216 748].
4. BARNTON Pick-up point at the bus stop on the south side of A90 Queensferry Road, 150 m west of the junction with Whitehouse Road [NT 183 750].
5. FERRY TOLL PARK AND RIDE Park and ride is just off the M90, south of Inverkeithing. Pick-up point is at the bus stop on turning circle, beside the waiting room [NT 124 819].
Coaches going east on the A1:
6. MILTON ROAD Pick-up point near Portobello High School, north side of Milton Road ( A1 Duddingston Crescent). Bus stop is 70 m west of the school entrance and 170 m east of Park Avenue [NT 306 729].
Coaches going south:
7. FAIRMILEHEAD Pick-up point at the bus stop on the east side of Comiston Road (A702) 250 m north of the Fairmilehead traffic lights (junction with Oxgangs Road B701) [NT 684 248].
For evening excursions, you make your own way to the meeting point indicated – no transport is provided. Evening excursions usually start at 7 pm and should finish by about 9.30 pm. Please book in advance, to help with planning and so that we can notify you of any changes to arrangements.
Members are welcome to bring guests, if space allows; regular visitors should consider the benefits of joining the Society. Dogs may only be brought on excursions where this is explicitly stated in the excursion details, and they must be kept under control at all times. Unless stated otherwise, excursions are not wheelchair accessible.
Personal Safety Equipment
Hard hats and hi-viz vests are required for some excursions (see excursion details). Please read and observe the notes on Safety on Excursions.