Code of Conduct and Safety Guidelines
It is important to realise that Excursions involve a level of personal risk, but that awareness of hazards, use of common sense and thought for others can greatly reduce this risk. Every participant on an Excursion has a duty of care and attention to all other participants and any member of the public.
Code of Conduct for Participants. You should:
1. Be aware of potential hazards that may be encountered during the Excursion, and familiarise yourself with the information about hazards and control measures available in advance. For your own and others’ safety, you should exercise a duty of care and attention at all times.
2. Take all reasonable precautions to maintain your own safety and not endanger other members of the group, as directed by the Excursion Leader and in line with the Risk Assessment.
3. Before each Excursion, fill in the online booking form to confirm that you have received and accept guidance and information relating to hazards and control measures and this Code of Conduct.
4. Wear clothing and footwear suitable for the Excursion.
5. Consider your level of physical fitness in relation to the itinerary described. The Excursion Leader has the right to refuse to allow you to participate in, or to continue in, the Excursion if your health or fitness, clothing or equipment gives rise to concern.
6. Listen to the Safety Briefing at the start of the Excursion and follow the instructions of the Excursion Leader at all times. It is important to stay with the Leader during all of the Excursion. Racing ahead or lagging behind causes problems of safety as well as making the Leader’s job more difficult.
7. Notify any problems immediately to the Excursion Leader. You should notify them if you wish to leave the Excursion early.
8. Do not use a geological hammer or collect samples.
9. Follow the Country Code e.g. close gates, leave no litter, and do not disturb wildlife or plants.
10. If you smoke, have consideration for others.
11. If you are responsible for children or dogs, keep them under control.
12. If you have a medical condition such as asthma, angina, diabetes, allergy etc, please inform the Excursion Leader at the start of the Excursion.
EGS Excursions: Safety Information (pdf file)